11/7/17

Dame du Jour: Jess Lindawan

By Maria Isabella

Jess’s philosophy on food is very simple: “I believe wholeheartedly that every time you eat, you have an opportunity to either nourish or harm your body.”

She eagerly applies that philosophy to her personal life. “As a mom, it’s important for me to teach my children where their food comes from and why healthy eating habits are essential to life.”

She also enthusiastically applies that same philosophy to her professional life, too.

“My job is to market Paladar Restaurant Group’s two concepts: Paladar Latin Kitchen & Rum Bar and BOMBA Tacos & Rum,” explains Jess. “We have nine restaurant locations…(and) our menus feature colorful and fresh dishes inspired by Central and South America, Cuba, and the Latin Caribbean.”

She goes on to add, “I’m always learning about food in my position, and it’s very stimulating for all five senses.”

This opinion was born of an early life that revolved around good food and happy times.

“My earliest childhood memory is watching my mom cook and bake,” remembers Jess. “I grew up in a very ‘meat and potatoes’ family and will always remember the savory smell of pot roast cooking in the oven on a cold day.”

When Jess eventually moved out of her parents’ home, she told her mom she wanted some of her recipes. “She made me a cookbook with all my favorite recipes in it from over the years…It’s my little book of happiness and comfort,” says Jess fondly.

Today, when she entertains, she likes to keep it “light, fresh, and simple with lots of food, drinks, and great company,” shares Jess.

She heard of Les Dames d’Escoffier from her sponsor, Crickett Karson. “I’ve been a member for two years now and love it!” admits Jess. “I am inspired by the incredible caliber of women who are in the group.”

Learn more about Jess as she shares some fun and interesting insights about herself.

Who influenced your love of food the most? My mom has always been a huge influence. I also draw a lot of influence from Michael Pollan. He’s brilliant.

What’s your favorite restaurant and what do you usually order there? My favorite cuisine is Indian, so I’d have to say my favorite restaurant is India Garden in Lakewood. In the beginning of this year, I made the decision to give up all meat and seafood, and Indian food has many vegetarian-friendly options. The owners of India Garden always offer wonderful service, and the space is charming. I love the aloo gobi with a side of garlic naan.

What’s the most unusual thing you’ve ever eaten? Either pig’s ears, rabbit pie, or dinuguan (in my meat-eating days).

What’s your favorite comfort food? Bread and cheese—separate or together, it doesn’t matter to me!

Do you have a signature dish? I’m always experimenting with new recipes, so there are very few dishes that I’ll repeat. But I do make a killer chili.

What’s your go-to, quick-and-easy dinner? I’ve found that “quick and easy” are certainly more challenging with being vegetarian. My husband and children still eat meat, so I really have to plan the week out and find ways to accommodate dishes to work for everyone. If all else fails, my crockpot has been a lifesaver at times, and I also make a great mushroom soy ramen soup that comes together pretty quickly.

What’s your favorite snack? Avocado toast.

What’s the biggest cooking mistake you’ve ever made? I don’t recall what I was cooking at the time, but when my hair was really long, I once caught it on fire when I absent-mindedly bent down to pick something up next to our gas stove. Another time, I mixed up flour with cornstarch when I was making a stir fry. The sauce turned out gray and was a total disaster.

What’s one ingredient you can’t live without? Garlic.

What would people be surprised to find in your fridge? My husband is Filipino, so we have a lot of items/ingredients that most people aren’t very familiar with, but it’s been a great away for us to introduce family and friends to Filipino cuisine, which is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment